Saturday, August 8, 2009

Why fight?

Angry whispers crescendo
Louder, penetrating walls
Louder, breaking down doors
The door I closed to shut them both out
As they yell, Louder, Louder!!!
I close the door, lock the door
Hug my stuffed animals, turn up the music
Can't hear my own thoughts
But I can still hear them
Can still feel my tears
Rolling down my cheeks
As they fight
Horrid names fly under the door
Under my skin, into my heart
Television volume turned up
So my siblings don't see
My music turned up louder
Competing with them, hiding my sobs
So they don't see what they do to me
Fighting, fighting, over what?
What's the use? The same fight
Again and again, louder and louder
Same argument, same names, same fight
I hide further away in my mind
Lose myself in the music
As the tears roll down
Flow down, cascade down
Like rivers into waterfalls
Fighting, fighting, why?
Is it over? I think it is
Is it safe to approach either?
My sullen father? My crying mother?
Who to comfort? Neither
Cause once again, the perfect family
Only to wait until another frayed link breaks
And the same fight begins

No comments: