Sunday, June 10, 2012

Let's Go to the Mall (Adventures Part IV)


***names changed, you know the drill***     
  
  I rarely venture to the mall on my own because I do not have a car to drive to the mall. Because I generally do not need frivolous things that are not within walking-distance. Because it is exponentially more fun to have a friend with me. But sometimes, I venture to the mall on my own at the expense of a tired bus-driver who thinks it is dangerous for a young woman to be alone in Columbia buses.

          I tend to enter through the food court, humming made-up songs with lyrics about the people I see. It is very interesting to people-watch in solidarity, as I am prone to do when alone, and I take mental notes of the hipster lumberjacks and the grandiose air of a stylish elderly woman carrying a chihuahua in the palm on her hand. I sit alone, eyes intensely focused on the young children riding the merry-go-round as I reminisce about my childhood and wonder what grandiose dreams these children will shatter in order to “make ends meet” in their future. A few cat calls and one “go on ahead with yo’ bad self, gurl” later, I get up and enter the book store. I am lonely in my need to have stimulating conversation so I reach for the companionship of a new friend with pages of secrets unopened. Settled down in a cozy corner of the floor, I laugh or cry appropriately as my new friend divulges new stories. This might be a fleeting fling or a life-long romance, I’m never sure until I’m torn from my friend by a need to leave the book store. 

          I admit that I walk around the mall distractedly, ambling from store to store, and try on every item of clothing that catches my eye. Every fancy dress and sparkly shirt I don’t need, every pair of shoes I can’t afford, every pair of pants or shorts that I would never wear, and every skirt short enough to be a belt. I do not buy anything and instead spend half an hour playing with a baby named Cody in the pet store. Eight-month-old Cody was looking to pet the same Fox Terrier I wanted to play with and became more interested in my hair than the dog, so I spent half an hour playing peek-a-boo and I-got-your-nosey with stranger’s baby on the floor of a pet store. 

        Once Cody’s over-protective mother decided to leave the store with the “dangerous” pet dander, I wandered into David’s Bridal where Courtney, an eager consultant, helped me pick between various gown styles for my imaginary June wedding. Courtney was eager to plan a wedding and needed to fill a quota, so we lied to the system and stuck it to the man by planning an extravagant June wedding to fulfill every princess’s fantasy. Apparently, I’m going to wear a empire-waisted gown and my bridesmaids will wear aquamarine blue dresses in various styles to fit their body-types; I will also have have white lilies and aquamarine blue tulips in my bouquet and as part of the centerpieces. David’s Bridal will e-mail me every day from now on. As I leave the store and a satisfied Courtney, I wander back to the food court for a chocolate ice-cream cone - my secret indulgence.

          I wait for the bus, having bought nothing but lunch and ice-cream. I am satisfied with my day of people-watching and the new acquaintances I made, but I regret not buying the novel that was ultimately the highlight of my day because he provided better conversation than anyone I ran into at the mall. I return to my room and sit in nothing but the comfort of my robe, attempting productivity and homework until someone knocks on my door. “Who is it?” I half-yell to the shadow I see under my door. “It’s me, woman, let me in! And put some clothes on,” Elizabeth says. My robe does not count as clothes, but I open the door just the same. This is my room, my rules. No clothes.

No comments: